This week we are learning about fruits and vegetables. Gardens started to bloom and vegetables and fruits are growing rapidly. My daughter loves to eat colorful fruits and vegetables and she’s pretty much familiar with the name of the foods she have on her plate. In this unit, the child will learn the different kinds of fruits and vegetables as well as the part of the fruit.
Gather all learning materials for fruits and vegetables unit such as books to read, object cards, miniature fruits and vegetables, real fruit to cut, moveable letters and fruit puzzle with part labels and other learning materials related to this unit study. Once I gathered all my resources, I then divide my presentation into three parts. You can always add more presentations into your unit per day so you can have five presentations in a week or simplify into three presentations just like I did here. Its up to you how you make your presentation a fun way to learn and explore!
Pericarp, Exocarp, Mesocarp, Endocarp, Seed
Point of Interest
- Each fruit and vegetables looks different and has a different name
- Each part of the fruit and vegetables looks different and has a different name
- Development of an appreciation for plants
- Development of knowledge of the parts of the fruit/vegetables
- Different names of the fruit/vegetables
- Different names of the parts of the fruit/vegetables
Fruits and Vegetables Unit and Activities for Preschool
Presenting a picture card or page of the book with similar object. Matching the picture card to an object or fruit using the three period lesson.
Presentation 2 (Language extensions)
Word creation using Montessori Movable Alphabets. My daughter is just three year old to create a word by herself. To help her understand the concept, I show her a picture card of fruit and vegetables. Then I ask her what letters she sees in this card. With this, it’s easier for her to pick the letters from the box and arrange it in order.
Presentation 3 (Practical Life extensions)
Prepare a fresh fruit and cut it into half. Show the fruit puzzle and identify the parts with the labels.
- Exocarp– the outer layer of the pericarp.
- Mesocarp– the middle layer of the pericarp.
- Endocarp– the innermost layer of the pericarp that surrounds the seed.
- Pericarp– the part of a fruit formed from the wall of the ripened ovary.
- Seed– an embryonic plant enclosed in a protective outer covering.
Practical Life Extension
With each unit I present, I always include an extension of the activities we do at school or at home. In this blog I will give you an ideas about the different kinds of extensions you can apply with this Fruits and Vegetables unit of study. Here are some examples of extensions you can do as a Practical Life activities.
- In a week rotate the snack to include different types of fruit or vegetables. Example: apple slices, oranges, fresh snap peas, fresh thinly sliced carrot
- Each day dissect the fruit for observation.
- Wash fruit or vegetables carefully.
- Cut fruit or vegetables for snack preparation.
- Squeeze oranges
In this unit the child will be using her/his four senses:
- Color: Compare colors of different fruits or vegetables
- Shape: Compare shapes of different fruits or vegetables
- Size: Notice the different sizes of fruit
- Wash and cut pieces of different fruits for children to taste
- Feel different fruits/vegetables and notice the differences; ex. cantaloupe, snap peas, blueberry.
- Smell variety of fruits and vegetables.
Presenting nature and anything consists of biodegradable materials to your unit adds a simple concept of taking care of our planet Earth. You can include ecology as part of the unit study at home or school to give child a better understanding about the care of the environment. This routine will help the child understand the correct disposal of fruit or vegetables. It is advisable for the school or at home that there is a designated place to put the compost.
Books and References
I compile this links for more resources and ideas of fun way to learn about Fruits and Vegetables in your classroom or at home.
- Proper Garbage Disposal
- Its Fun To Eat Fruits And Vegetables! Free Printables
- Fruits and Vegetables Preschool Lesson and Activities
- Fruit and Vegetables Three Part Cards
- Fruit (First Discovery Books)
- A Seed is a Promise
- Apple Trouble!