Homeschooling a preschooler takes a lot of organization, planning and time management. In able to prepare for a new theme or seasonal lessons like fall or autumn, aside from organizing my activity shelves for a week or for a month, I also consider planning ahead of time what books I need to include in my unit. I can say, perfectionism strikes me when it comes to picking books for children. I like to carefully choose what my four years old get to read at home. She was an independent reader before she turns three years old. That being said, choosing carefully “quality books” requires extra time to put together age-appropriate books that are in season. Luckily, we are just a few minutes away from our local library
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosures and copyrights.
Book illustrations and words count a lot and serve as a motivation and inspiration to a child’s early years learning journey. Below you can find my top 16 Fall reads suitable for a preschooler to lower elementary level.
“The child has a different relation to his environment from ours… the child absorbs it. The things he sees are not just remembered; they form part of his soul. He incarnates in himself all in the world about him that his eyes see and his ears hear.” Maria Montessori
Here is my list of Top 16 Quality Fall Books for Children
- We Are The Gardeners– Joana Gaines: Base on real experience in life. A story of failures and triumphs. A perfect book for any family who loves working together in the garden.
- Apples– Gail Gibbon: Best pick for children’s book about apples. Easy to understand vocabulary with botany, science and basic life skills! Perfect for your Apple unit study.
- Our Apple Tree– Gorel Kristina Naslund: A nice book for young readers to help them understand the concept of four seasons and the life of an apple tree.
- Alone In The Forest– Gita Wolf: A story of young Indian boy lost in the woods but courage lead the way back home.
- Tree– Britta Teckentrup
- Poetree– Caroline Pignat
- Watch It Grow Pumpkin– Barrie Watts
- My Leaf Book– Monica Wellington
- Pumpkins– Jacqueline Farmer
- A Day In The Life Of A Farmer– Heather Adamson
- Harvest Year– Cris Peterson
- The Road Not Taken– Robert Frost: A beautiful book about the magnitude of making choices in life.
- The Tree– Gallimard Jeunesse
- Vegetables In The Garden– Pascale De Bourgoing/Gallimard Jeunesse
- Fruit– Pascale De Bourgoing/Gallimard Jeunesse
- Weather– Pascale De Bourgoing/Gallimard Jeunesse
“The child has a mind able to absorb knowledge. He has the power to teach himself.” (The Absorbent Mind)
Here are more Fall/Autumn Books for Children
- The Giving Tree– Theo LeSieg
- Apples And Pumpkins– Anne Rockwell
- Autumn– Gerda Muller
- Autumn Is Here– Heidi Press Gray
- Thanking the Moon: Celebrating the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival– Grace Lin
- Because of an Acorn: Lola M. Shaefer
“An education capable of saving humanity is no small undertaking: it involves the spiritual development of man, the enhancement of his value as an individual, and the preparation of young people to understand the times in which they live.” —Education and Peace
Follow my blog to get new Montessori inspired learning activities at home or Follow me on Instagram for more fun hands-on activities and book inspirations for your kids!